Tuesday, March 12, 2013

3 Miles Down and 10 More Left

So ran my first race of the year Sunday and I think I basically kicked some ass.  My goal for the 5k was to get below 26 minutes.  At 25:29 I more than beat it!  I was not sure I would do this but it always helps to have something to work towards.  For the first time ever I felt as I actually was well trained and prepared, not once did I have the urge to work.  Although because i drink so much water my urge to pee was constant during the entire race, maybe it helped.  I am also surprised I did so well because the beginning of the race was packed for the first mile with slow runners and walkers and having to weave between them and around the many corners.  This track was also challenging because of the numerous hills through Ann Arbor, including the exhausting one in the very end.  I smashed it and basically took some names.  For sure a great way to begin the year and to get me pumped for the races ahead.

So where to next on my road to the half-marathon?  Well my next goal is to run a 10k this April.  On the 14th, i am running the Romero 10k to raise money for the La Mora Health Clinic in El Salvador.  With about a month to go I have lots of work to do, basically need to double my distance in 33 days.  With work this will be a challenge, but I know if I put my mind to it I should have no problems.  Once I break the 10k just need to double from there to reach my October goal!

No comments: