Monday, July 7, 2014

1000 Mile Running Challenge

Looks like I have not been writing here in months.  Life is going well, fitness not as much as I wish it would be.  I was doing so well at the end of last year but since I just slacked off.  Ran a few 5k races but never trained for them and just haven't pushed myself like I should.  Seeing that it is summer I have been biking to work almost every day the last two months but I need more.

Last week (July 3rd), I was looking at my biking so far for the year and had already passed all of 2013 in 6 months.  Over 500 miles, not bad.  Running on the other hand was just over 40 where last year was over 175 miles.  A friend at work noticed and was wondering if possible to run 1000 miles in a year and how many miles would that be a day.  There started a new challenge.  1000 miles by Independence Day 2015.  That is 2.74 miles a day, 19.17 a week and about 82.19 miles a month.  Looking at that looks grueling but if I start at doing at least a 5k a day then I can bank up miles for when winter comes and I'm stuck using a treadmill or when I need a break for vacation and rest.  Three days have passed and already 1.3% done.

Now 1000 miles seems rough so I need to make a visual goal.  A city or location to run towards.  I didn't want to be stuck in Kansas or some back country southern town, so I look far south to Florida and just so happens that St. Augustine Beach is 1000 miles from my apartment.  Goal set.  Currently running through Milan and will be to the Michigan-Ohio border within two weeks.  From there it'll take about 2.7 months to get through that awful state.  From there I will hit the mountains through Kentucky and hit the states of Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia before finally reaching sunny Florida.  It's a stretch but should be quite an interesting journey.  For now I am off to run day four of this trek.  Care to join?!

No comments: