Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Full Circle

People always talk full circle and always sounds great and cheery, I believe in my case it actually is quite an exciting thing.  Even though there has been many changes in my life there are some things that have oddly looped back, more to my amusement then anything.  Four years ago to the date I was writing a very similar post preparing for the very same event.

It was October 10th, 2008, I was President of Fabiano/Emmons/Woldt Hall Council, working 20 hours at the front desk and 20 hours at Target at night, that and a full load of classes.  All of this basically equals the 50ish hours a week I am working in this busy tax season, well minus the lack of fun and thrill of the rush.  The main reason for this post was that I saw four years ago I was preparing for my very first 5k.  Now I am preparing for my sixth or seventh race, but all of them lead back to that first race.

Beginning of March 2008, embarrassing 
The race of course was for the CMU Homecoming with benefits going to the Special Olympics.  Much like then and not surprisingly I was not quite prepared, could have given myself more time for preparation.  But it was for charity and much as every time it was for myself, to show that I am still alive and can force myself to push on.  Back in 2008 I really made a push to better my personal being, mostly through exercise and what I was eating.  My urge to really start wanting to run a 5k was Spring of 2008, February of that year i weighed an ungodly 240 pounds, I know hard to believe.  I cut back fast food, watched what I at, and by the end of the Spring semester I began to run.  If anyone knew me back then can attest, I despise running, which dates back to middle school, ha ha ha ask a few people from back then.  I made the decision to run because I hated it so much and it is because of this I knew it was good.  By the summer of '08 I was running every day, sometimes over 6 miles (I wish I could get back to that again).  I kept at it, but then school began again during the Fall and I got busy lost focus, but still I stuck to my goal of running my first 5k race.  Looking back at some blog posts to refresh my memory on some of the details, I saw that it took dedication, a dedication i hope to get back.  Not all was lost though, I still value my healthy lifestyle, still try to workout and eat healthy.  By the middle of that summer dipped below 200 pounds and before the race I weighted about 183 pounds.  I am proud to say I have seen 200 since, let alone the disgusting 240.  At times I reached 193 but mostly I've stuck in the 185 range, last I checked a few weeks ago I was just barely under 180.

Homecoming - October 10th, 2008
So Homecoming 2012 will be a great celebration not just to see some old friends, but to bring me back to a point when I had a vision and I saw it through.  Life had been rough up until then but it got better.  Since then I had run into quite a few hurdles, but I fought past them and learned from my mistakes.  i am now in a place in my life that I am happy and successful.  If failures come my way I know I only have myself to blame and troubles are only temporary and with a bit of determination will be a joke to my future self.  2008 Brian it was great to know you, but 2012 Brian is way better for the troubles you had.

No comments: